info@vickypylarinou.com

This year alone, organizations have grappled with the effects of geopolitical tensions, supply chain disruption, inflation, changing policies and regulations, intensifying natural disasters and a lingering pandemic. On top of these known risks, there are likely unexpected crisis events waiting around the corner.

Accounting / finance professionals and business consultants can take the lead on risk management by forming a comprehensive strategy, partnering with other functions and stakeholders, considering the unmeasurable and keeping tabs on emerging risks with help from technology.

Form a comprehensive risk management strategy

The 2022 Global State of Enterprise Risk Oversight report found that although a majority of respondents believe the number and complexity of risks have increased over the past five years, only about a third have complete enterprise risk management (ERM) processes in place.

These findings point to a dangerous planning gap for many organizations around the world. If your company doesn’t have a comprehensive ERM plan in place yet, creating one or enhancing an existing plan should be a top priority.

The ERM plan should integrate risk management with strategic planning initiatives, something most organizations struggle to achieve, according to the report. In addition to minimizing the impact of a crisis on your business, risk management processes have the potential to offer valuable insights about which initiatives are most likely to pay off and which might not be worth the risk.

Include diverse viewpoints in the planning process

As your organization creates or enhances its ERM plan, make sure you’re hearing from a diverse set of viewpoints throughout the planning process.

Open lines of communication with all key stakeholders, including customers, contractors, suppliers, community members and employees at all levels. Representatives from each function should have the opportunity to express their thoughts and concerns. Also, finance professionals should avoid using jargon and make the numbers as visual as possible to increase understanding and facilitate discussion.

By casting a wide net and soliciting feedback from a range of sources, you can decrease the chance of blind spots catching your organization by surprise.

Keep tabs on emerging risks

The list of historic or emerging risks that organizations face include the following:

• Digitalization of society and emerging technologies

• Public distrust in business

• Trade tensions

• Economic and social inequalities

• The changing regulatory environment

Keeping tabs on risk factors and evaluating the various ways they could affect your organization is an overwhelming task. With the ever-increasing amount of available data, it makes sense to harness technology to sort through the noise and uncover insights about which risks are most likely to affect your business.

According to the 2022 Global State of Enterprise Risk Oversight report, less than half of respondents maintain enterprise-level risk inventories. To respond rapidly to crises, it helps to see them coming or at least know about them as soon as they occur. An increasing number of ERM resources are available to organizations to help detect risks and sort and organize data to discover critical insights.

Don’t rely on numbers alone

Other common blind spots organizations fall victim to include confirmation bias and an overreliance on numbers.

It might be tempting to find comfort in the clarity of numbers, and to use those numbers to confirm preexisting theories or predictions. However, relying on numbers alone means ignoring unmeasurable, but very real, factors that contribute to the situation.

Instead of presenting financial reports as static and final documents, use them as jumping-off points for cross-functional discussion and productive debate. To uncover potential blind spots, focus on asking questions rather than providing answers.

Data Source: AICPA, Hannah Pitstick

slogan

Reviews

• The coaching sessions with Vicky, have been proved very effective. Since the 1st moment, she understood my needs in order to provide me with the guidance that I really needed.

With the completion of the coaching program I am more optimistic, sure, confident and ready to keep on achieving any goal I set.
  • When I met with Vicky I had just a business idea. But the voices in and out of my head didn't let me not even to start.

Today that I have completed the Business Coach program, I have overcome everything that was holding me back, I have a business ready to launch with clear goals and clients.

I have already booked my 1st client and can't wait for what is to come. Thank you.
  • That period of my life everything was changing in a rapid and with no control way. The pandemic affected seriously my personal life with consequences in my personal life as well. After a 26 years of a successful career with my personal business, it was the 1st year I didn’t operate my company. I lost any interest in life, was feeling lost and I was thinking to close my company.

At that point, Vicky came into my way and with a kind, professional and straightforward way she helped me to get over all the obstacles and challenges. She helped me to understand what I really wanted (just to fall in love again with my business and not to quit), to set cleat goals and follow all the required steps to accomplish them.

I feel grateful that I made my Decision and I tried the Business Coaching with Vicky. It helped me to make the best decisions for my future and feel optimistic again.

Thank for everything.
  • I am so grateful that I had Vicky by my side in one of the most important but oh! so hard moments of my life to help and guide me transition to what is today my new happy life!!!

Love for me came from far away, it was real and felt right but to be able to live with my partner I needed to change country and job! Felt very confused and hopeless and was ready to end a healthy and beautiful relationship just because I could not realize this was not a difficulty but a wonderful opportunity.

Vicky was there to help me, with her experience and her expertise, to put my thoughts and feelings in order and decide what was best, for me first and then my relationship.

Thank you so much!!!
  • Vicky thank you for helping me find my purpose. This girl has all the tips and methods to make you see what you don’t realize when you are stuck in your daily routine.

Very professional yet friendly, her practices are so helpful and powerful that it felt like I was talking to a very wise friend who helped realize I was stuck at a job that was not fulfilling me.

Together we discovered my talents and passions and I am very glad to say that I have started my journey towards changing my job for something creative and fun! Like me!
Website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Read more...